At GSI, we do our best to be the one supplier to meet ALL your waste disposal needs. We go above and beyond by providing collection of large bulk items where our competition falls short.
Some items are just not acceptable in our curbside or other onsite services. For unacceptable items, we try to provide recycle outlets customers can use to get rid of these items. Take a look at our ABC’s of Trash and Recycling.
Hard to Recycle Materials
Electronic Waste (E-Waste):
Electronic waste (or e-waste) is electronic equipment that is obsolete or no longer working. As of July 1st, 2013, it is illegal to put your E-Waste into the landfill.
Learn more about E-Waste, download the following:
You have the option to drop off at GSI or call for a pick up. Hours of operations:
- Monday – Friday 8am – 3:00pm (for e-waste)
- Location 1941 Heath Parkway
Learn more about Organic Waste, download the Compost Guide
- Food Waste Recycling/ Hot Compost-Call GSI Sales Line 970-498-4085
- Yardwaste Recycling – Call GSI customer service 970-484-5556
Materials for Back Yard “Hot” Compost:
***do not recycle in single-stream
- Paper Plates
- # 7 Compostable Cups
- Shredded Paper
#7 Compostable Cups:
- Please do not put in single-stream recycle
- Acceptable in hot Compost or landfill
Appliances – Large/ Bulky Non-Working:
- Contact the GSI Dispatch office to schedule a pickup – (970) 484-6574
- If you are upgrading to an Energy Star appliance, check out the Fort Collins Utilities appliance rebate program or refrigerator rebate program, or you can contact (970) 221-6700.
Used Building Materials:
Plastic Bags #2 and #4:
- Big Box Stores- bring to big box stores to recycle
Small Propane Tanks:
- Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Facility (Larimer County Residents Only)
- Drop off old prescription glasses at your local Lens Crafters, Pearle Vision, Sears, Target, and local Lions Club.
Household Hazardous Waste:
Asphalt, Concrete, Porcelain Toilets and Fill Dirt:
***The city will not charge to accept these items. Be sure they are clean and free of branches, trash and organic matter.
- Contact the Fort Collins Street Department (970) 221-6615 (Located on Hoffman Mill Road)
- Click here to read more on the City of Fort Collins website
- Single-stream recycling
CFL Light Bulbs:
- Ace Hardware (Berthoud, Clay’s, Downtown Fort Collins, Greeley, Orchards and Windsor), Home Depot, Lowe’s, Drake Hardware, Larimer County Landfill Hazardous Waste Collection Facility and The Light Center.
- Batteries Plus, (you must cover positive terminal with tape) and Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.
- Ace Hardware ( Berthoud, Downtown Fort Collins and Orchards), Batteries Plus, Best Buy and Interstate All Battery Center.
- Checker Auto Parts, City of Loveland Drop-off, Houska Automotive, Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Collection and Rams Conoco.
Materials to Trash:
- Shrink Wrap or Plastic Wrap
- Automotive chemical containers such as motor oil and antifreeze bottles
There are no recycling options for styrofoam used as food packaging or molded; however, styrofoam peanuts can be recycled at the following places:
- The UPS Store
- Relay Mail
- Colorado Frame Manufacturing, Inc.