Compost Locally with GSI’s Yardwaste Recycling Program
Compost locally with Gallegos Sanitation! We are a company that truly cares about caring for the earth. If you are like many Colorado homeowners, spring is when your yard is full of organic debris such as garden waste, branches, grass clippings, and brush. Looking at the piles may seem overwhelming and bring worry that you may need to spend lots-o-money to make the yardwaste disappear. One solution is that GSI offers residents a convenient, timely and affordable yardwaste recycling program (YRP), where we provide a container, provide weekly pick up, compost the material, all for one low rate! This program officially begins April 1st and runs through November 30th, 2019.
For a nominal monthly fee of $15.95, that is less that the cost of your monthly trash bill, you will get a special brightly colored 65-gallon yardwaste cart to put your materials into. In addition, you have the ability to include an extra 35-gallons (totaling 100-gallons) of yardwaste each week. Your yardwaste cart will be picked-up weekly and be taken to a local dairy.
At the dairy the yardwaste is placed in large piles, called windrows, where it is processed over a period of 6 weeks to three months, being broken down into a beneficial soil amendment. After the compost process is complete, they dairy then sells the finished product, which is added to gardens, trees, grass or landscape, as a way to keep the growth healthy and thriving.
GSI has been offering this program for 20 years and is proud to be the first company in Northern Colorado to offer a sustainable, closed loop recycle program to the community.
Here are a couple of tips to make your yardwaste compost program run smoothly:
- You may include fruit and veggie scraps in your cart! Keep fruit flies at bay by keeping scraps in a tightly closed container OR store food scraps in the freezer or fridge.
- Place scraps in the yardwaste cart the night before or on your pick-up day, to avoid stinking up your cart.
- Keep your cart lid complexly closed to avoid critters from checking out its contents.
- Place all contents loosely into your cart.
- Bundle extra yardwaste that does not fit into your cart.
Composting your yardwaste with GSI is a great way to reduce you impact on the environment, save money and feel good about yourself!